I am a PhD student in Computer Science at Washington State University. My research focus is on Developing transfer learning algorithms for expanding human-centric intelligent system capabilities from static setting to the dynamic environment with minimal supervision. Particularly, my recent focus is developing Deep Neural Networks to enable transfer learning in dynamic human-centric environments.
- PhD in Computer Science, Washington State University
- MS in Computer Science, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
- BS in Computer Science, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
- Research Assistant (Washington State University) 2014-Present
- Developing transfer learning algorithms for expanding human-centric intelligent system capabilities from static setting to the dynamic environment with minimal supervision
- Research Intern (Samsung Research America) 2016
- Designed and implemented an adaptive on-device context learning algorithm.
- Researcher (Amirkabir Univeristy – Iran) 2013-2014
- Developed a robust Named Entity Recognition system using parallel corpora and graph-based semi-supervised learning.
- Software Engineer (Bayan Rahbord Group) 2011-2013
- Successfully led Search Engine team using Agile methodologies.
- Designed and implemented the core of Salam Metasearch with value-addeds ervices such as spam guard which won the best prize of National Media Festival.
- Implemented a customized web search framework as a plug-in for Apache Nutch, hosted on GitHub.
- Developed a Farsi Language Stemmer based on a novel NDFA modeling.
- Software Engineer (Orbit@ll – Iran) 2010-2011
- Developed a distributed data access framework with customized query language to store distributed dynamic entities on heterogeneous platforms.
- Designed and implemented a software product line to enable customers to create
- their own software through programming with a Domain Specific Language.
Honors & Awards
- GPSA WSU award of Research Assistant Excellence
- Russ and Anne Fuller fellowship for Interdisciplinary Research
- NSF I-Corps grant for i-watch u-shape project
- ACM SIGBED travel grant to attend CPSWeek Conference
- NIH travel grant to attend Wireless Health conference
- 1st place in Soccer 3D Simulation, International Robocup Competitions
- Member of Technical Committee
- Simulation in the System Design Flow (ACM SIGSIM) 2017-2018
- Smart Portable, Wearable Systems (SPWID) 2017-2018
- International Conference on Global Health Challenges 2016-2017
- Bayan International Programming Contest 2013
- Machine Learning Consultant – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (2016- present)
- Data analytics to predict the risk of medical complications after surgery
- Technology Lead – WSU Health Sciences (2017-Present)
- Diabetes prevention and health promotion in Native populations.
- ACM Transaction on Interactive Intelligent Systems- 2017
- IEEE Transaction on Mobile Computing – 2017
- IEEE Transactions on Big Data – 2017
- IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics 2016-2017
- International Journal of Reliable and Quality E-Healthcare – 2017
S A Rokni, M Nourollahi, H Ghasemzadeh, “Personalized Human Activity Recognition using Convolutional Neural Network”, 32nd AAAI conference on Articial Intelligence, Feb 2018, New Orleans, Louisiana
S A Rokni, H Ghasemzadeh, “Autonomous Training of Activity Recognition Algorithms in Dynamically Changing Mobile Sensors: A Transfer Learning Approach”, IEEE Transaction of Mobile Computing, 2018
S A Rokni, M Nourollahi, H Ghasemzadeh, “TransNet: An Adaptable Deep Learner for Human Activity Recognition”, (Submitted to ACM Journal on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies)
S A Rokni, H Ghasemzadeh, “Synchronous Dynamic View Learning: A Framework for Autonomous Training of Activity Recognition Models using Wearable Sensors”, The 16th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN 2017)
Seyed Ali Rokni, Marjan Nourollahi, Hassan Ghasemzadeh, Power and Memory Effcient Cascading Binary Classier for Activity Recognition, International Workshop on Energy-Aware Computing and Communication (ECC), April 2017
A Shahrokni, S A Rokni, H Ghasemzadeh, Machine Learning Algorithm for Pre dicting Longer Postoperative Length of Stay among Older Cancer Patients, ASCO Annual Meeting (June 2-6, 2017) Chicago, IL
K Sasani, H N Catanese, S A Rokni, H Ghasemzadeh, R J Downey, A Shahrokni, “Gait Speed and Survival of Older Cancer Surgical Patients: Prediction after Machine-Learning”, (Submitted to Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer,2017)
R Fallahzadeh, S A Rokni, H Ghasemzadeh, and A Shahrokni, Digital Health for Geriatric Oncology, (Submitted to JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics, 2017)
M Pedram, S A Rokni, R Fallahzadeh, H Ghasemzadeh, A Beverage Intake Tracking System Based on Machine Learning Algorithms, and Ultrasonic and Color Sensors, The 16th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN), April 18-21, 2017, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
N Hezarjabiri, R Fallahzadeh, S A Rokni, H Ghasemzadeh, Demo Abstract: Speech2Health, a framework for nutrition monitoring using voice-based approach, The 16th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN), April 18-21, 2017, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
S A Rokni, H Ghasemzadeh, “Autonomous Sensor-Context Learning in Dynamic Human-Centered Internet-of-Things Environments”, The 35th IEEE/ACM International Conference On Computer Aided Design (ICCAD 2016)
S A Rokni, H Ghasemzadeh, “Plug-n-Learn: Automatic Learning of Computational Algorithms in Human-Centered Internet-of-Things Applications”, The 53rd ACM /IEEE Design Automation Conference (DAC 2016)
P Alinia, R Saeedi, R Fallahzadeh, A Rokni, H Ghasemzadeh, A Reliable and Self-Adaptive Signal Processing Framework to Estimate Metabolic Equivalent of Task in Wearable Sensors, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, 2016
S A Rokni, N Hezarjabiri, H Ghasemzadeh, Smart Medication Management, Current Technologies, and Future Directions, Handbook of Research on Healthcare Administration and Management (IGI Global 2016)
P Alinia, R Saeedi, A Rokni, B Mortazavi, H Ghasemzadeh, Impact of sensor mis-placement on estimating metabolic equivalent of task with wearables, 12th IEEEInternational Conference on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks (BSN 2015)
A Zafarian, A Rokni, S Khadivi, S Ghiasifard, Semi-supervised learning for named entity recognition using weakly labeled training data, International Symposium on Articial Intelligence and Signal Processing (AISP 2015)